Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Phyllis Dale's Journey in Europe - Update 23



Munich, Germany to Bern, Switzerland with connections in Innsbruck, Austria and Zurich.
Today, train tracks took me on one of the most beautiful rail journeys in the world. I went from Munich, Germany to Innsbruck, Austria to Zurich, Switzerland and then on to Bern. It was dark between Zurich and Bern. However, let me tell you that the scenery I saw through the Alps in the daylight was magnificent. I can't wait to see the photos and then post them.

In Zurich, I was able to get seat reservations for the rest of my rail itinerary (even with a First Class Eurail Pass, you have to have seat reservations most of the time) then I changed $$ into Swiss Francs. $350 got me 290 CHF (Swiss Francs) That included a $4 fee for the exchange.
Enjoyed my first Big Mac meal in Zurich rail station. Tasted just like it would in the U.S....GOOD!
Then I got to my hotel which is so great. I'm right in Old Town Bern. The hotel is 500 years old, one of the oldest guest houses in the town. I have a double bed to stretch my arms out...Yea. The last 7 nights have been really tough in those narrow single beds (no more single beds for me). There are blackout drapes so I won't be woken up at dawn, a large walk in shower, it is quiet because my room faces the courtyard, the Internet access is excellent, there is an elevator and a wonderful Swiss restaurant. I'm in hotel heaven.

Found out that Switzerland has outlets that are different from where I've been in Europe except Great Britain that has a 3 prong). There is another adapter that you need. The lovely girl at reception let me borrow one for the rest of my hotel stay.

My friend, Nadia surprised me and was waiting for me at the Bern station. She walked with me to the taxi stand and then she took a city train back home. Tomorrow, her and her husband, David are picking me up at the hotel. They are driving to the countryside. There is a very special restaurant they know I will like.
It rained a little today. Hopefully, the sun will be shining tomorrow. Rain or shine, I'm sure it will be a terrific day.

Then on Friday, Nadia is coming to the hotel and we are going to sight-see the Old Town. From what I saw coming in on the taxi, I know I will love it

It's been a great day and I'm going to have a good night's sleep.

Phyllis is HAPPY!

No comments:

Post a Comment